3.0.10 fails to start (OpenSuse 13.2)

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Wed Oct 28 14:36:15 CET 2015

> On 28 Oct 2015, at 09:12, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
>
> On Oct 28, 2015, at 8:56 AM, Thomas Stather <Thomas.Stather at mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de> wrote:
>> I installed freeradius-server 3.0.10 from the OpenSuse "network" repo (OpenSuse OBS)
>> but when i try to start it, i get:
>>
>> --------------------------------------
>> radius1:~ # radiusd -X
>> libssl version mismatch.  built: 1000204f linked: 100010bf
>> --------------------------------------
>
>  Probably because they updated OpenSSL, and didn't bother re-building FreeRADIUS.
>
>  This check avoids run-time problems with OpenSSL.  They have problems changing their APIs so that programs using OpenSSL crash when you upgrade OpenSSL, and not the program.
>
>  We may be able to fix that in future releases,

Not really.

There's no guarantee two versions of OpenSSL will be ABI Compatible.

There's no guarantee two versions of OpenSSL will have the same behaviour (as we saw with 1.0.2).

We're already lenient allowing the least significant part of the version to change.

The OpenSuse guys fucked up, and put OpenSSL 1.0.2 on their build server but still use 1.0.1 in their release.

This is really basic shit.  What the fuck are they doing.

-Arran

FreeRADIUS development team