Rest API for authentication

Herwin Weststrate herwin at quarantainenet.nl
Tue Sep 1 12:25:36 CEST 2015

On 31-08-15 09:15, Randeep wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> We have two types of IPTV boxes. One has pppoe support and other one
> doesn't have pppoe support.
>
> We are using FreeRadius 3.0.8 for authentication.
>
> I remember you mentioning that authentication can be done via a rest api
> also. So we can use this api for authentication for the device which
> doesn't have the pppoe support.

I think you've got a few things mixed up here. The rest module is just a
module that can run in different sections by calling an external
process/server via a RESTful API to do something. The added demo.pl adds
a Cleartext-Password := testing123 to the control map, this could be
used in the authorize section of a server, where for example the pap
module could compare the passwords in authenticate section. A bit
comparable to a lookup in a database to find the plaintext password.

I've really got no idea how this would be related to iptv boxes that
don't use pppoe. To me this sounds a bit like you heard about a concept
and now try to retrofit that concept to some completely unrelated problem.

--
Herwin Weststrate