Rest API for authentication

Randeep randeep123 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 12:53:03 CEST 2015

Hi Herwin,

We have our own mpls network. Set top boxes use pppoe to login to our
network.

We have some boxes which doesn't have pppoe support. For them we are
looking for some authentication mechanism. So if it can be done via a respt
api to the same radius database, it would solve our problem.

Please share your suggestions.

Best Regards,
Randeep

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 3:55 PM, Herwin Weststrate <herwin at quarantainenet.nl>
wrote:

> On 31-08-15 09:15, Randeep wrote:
> > Hi Alan,
> >
> > We have two types of IPTV boxes. One has pppoe support and other one
> > doesn't have pppoe support.
> >
> > We are using FreeRadius 3.0.8 for authentication.
> >
> > I remember you mentioning that authentication can be done via a rest api
> > also. So we can use this api for authentication for the device which
> > doesn't have the pppoe support.
>
> I think you've got a few things mixed up here. The rest module is just a
> module that can run in different sections by calling an external
> process/server via a RESTful API to do something. The added demo.pl adds
> a Cleartext-Password := testing123 to the control map, this could be
> used in the authorize section of a server, where for example the pap
> module could compare the passwords in authenticate section. A bit
> comparable to a lookup in a database to find the plaintext password.
>
> I've really got no idea how this would be related to iptv boxes that
> don't use pppoe. To me this sounds a bit like you heard about a concept
> and now try to retrofit that concept to some completely unrelated problem.
>
> --
> Herwin Weststrate

Randeep
Mob: +919447831699[kerala]