two freeradius servers - question for advice

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Apr 1 14:13:36 CEST 2016

On Apr 1, 2016, at 7:58 AM, Marcin <marcin at nicram.net> wrote:
> I don't want replicate database.
> I want to have as simple configuration as possible, having two independent
> freeradius server with the same data.

  You said you wanted Simultaneous-Use to work in an HA environment.  This means the accounting data has to be replicated to both systems.

  i.e. database replication.

>>  Hmm... that would work, I guess.. buy you'd need a cron job (or
>> something similar) to regularly dump the DB to files.
>
> no, I'm going to use cron to generate files for radius from database if
> something was canged in db.

  So... yes, you will use cron to regularly dump the DB to files.

  There's no need to argue over the details.  It's unfriendly.

> My first though was not to use database directly, but only for generating
> radius files configurations. but i need to allow onlu 1 conection per
> client so i must use "Simultaneous-Use". I red that reading it from db is
> the best way. so that i want db.

  You are aware of the difference between authentication data and accounting data, right?

  Simultaneous-Use looks at accounting data in SQL.  So... you'll need accounting data in SQL for it to work.

  Which also means database replication.

> I don't have to have Full HA. I've few spread PPPoE servers. I want to
> prepare in case if something went wrong with one of freeradius server.

  <sigh>  If you don't want full HA, then don't ask for HA.  There's no "half-full HA", or "mostly HA, but not really".

  My suggestion is to drop anything related to HA.  Not only is it complicated, it's clear you don't even know what you want, much less understand the underlying concepts.