IP Pool FreeRadius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Apr 25 13:33:36 CEST 2016

On Apr 25, 2016, at 3:52 AM, Juanjo Abenza <juanjo at excom.es> wrote:
> We are planning to deploy a new freeradius Server, and we would like to
> manage the IP's from freeradius ip pool, but some time ago we heard that
> FreeRadis sometimes didnt manage the pool all right.

  The only reason people say that is because they aren't sure how IP pool management works.

> They said us, it could sometimes duplicate ip's on subscribers.

  FreeRADIUS uses a database to manage IP pools.  The only way for duplicate IPs to be assigned is:

1) freeradius ignores the database, and assigns duplicate IPs
  - this doesn't happen

2) the database is broken, and gives duplicate IPs to FreeRADIUS
  - this doesn't happen

3) You didn't configure the NAS to send accounting packets to FreeRADIUS
   - this happens sometimes

3) the NAS lets the user stay online even after the IP has expired
  - this happens a LOT.

  The simple explanation is that everyone *else* is using FreeRADIUS to assign IPs, and it works.  So if it doesn't work for you, then the problem isn't FreeRADIUS.

> Does someones knows something about this issue? Is it fixed on last
> versions?

  Be sure that the NAS is sending accounting packets to FreeRADIUS.

  If it is sending accounting packets then take your NAS, throw it in the garbage, and buy a NAS that works.