Slow request response for auth/acct

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Jul 15 10:19:58 CEST 2016

Hi,

> When I try an authentication request, it seems too slow:

yep

> I have only 3 clients and in radius.log I see a lot of

only 3 clients could be a small issue - each client can only have a limited number of RADIUS
connections.  the main issue is number of users - and amount of accounting transactions
being undertaken due to them. authentication isnt the headache that accounting is.

so,

1) have you tweaked any of the SQL settings for performance in FreeRADIUS eg have more connections
number of connections per client etc?

2) MyISAM or InnoDB if using MySQL ?  former is default..and sucks. use InooDB if using MySQL.

3) do you need realtime accounting or can you have a slight delay of seconds? if the latter, then
consider using the buffered-sql virtual server

4) upgrade

alan