SQL min and LDAP spare warnings

David Hartburn D.J.Hartburn at kent.ac.uk
Mon Mar 7 15:16:54 CET 2016

Hi,

Can I double check my understanding of these warnings on what is
currently a fairly lightly used FreeRADIUS server?:

Mon Mar  7 13:57:59 2016 : Warning: rlm_sql (sql): You probably need to
lower "min"
Mon Mar  7 13:58:59 2016 : Warning: rlm_ldap (ldap): 0 of 0 connections
in use.  You probably need to increase "spare"

The server appears to be functioning correctly. I can decrease 'min' for
SQL to zero and the warning goes away on my dev server. LDAP only
appears on live. I have not changed from the default values.

 From the documentation and notes in the config files, I'm reading both
these to say there is not sufficient traffic to keep required number of
min or spare sessions open and the is not a particular problem. As load
increases these warnings will probably go away. Does that assessment
sound correct?

We are hoping to unleash FreeRADIUS onto a larger area of our campus as
we retire off NPS, so I want to double check we are not going to drop a
lot of authentications as we increase load.

Thanks

Dave Hartburn