How to configure non-priveleged LDAP bind in FreeRADIUS 3.0.11

Bogdan Rudas brudas at exadel.com
Mon Sep 5 21:36:27 CEST 2016

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>
wrote:

> On Sep 5, 2016, at 9:24 AM, Bogdan Rudas via Freeradius-Users <
> freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:
> > I would like to configure LDAP authentication for WiFi users with
> OpenLDAP
> > back-ends (passwords are hashed). To perform initial bind to LDAP
> database
> > I use restricted account which can read directory tree, determine DN on
> > user and most of it's attributes but can't read passwords hashes.
>
>   That's may work, if you configure it correctly.
>
> > Then I
> > expect FreeRadius to bind with DN found on previous step and
> user-supplied
> > password.
>
>   Does the rlm_ldap module documentation say it does that?
>
> > When I use admin user account (which can read password hashes) for
> initial
> > bind, authentication test with *radtest *works well, but it is not what I
> > want to do.
>
>   Why not?
>
> > I want to keep my OpenLDAP password policy working, this requires true
> LDAP
> > bind attempt with credential of end-user.
> >
> > My final destination is EAP-TTLS with PAP inside. Please, help me to
> > establish desired LDAP authorization schema. As far as I know it was
> > possible in FreeRadius 2.1.x and I believe some additional configuration
> > required here.
>
>   You have to force Auth-Type LDAP.
>
> authorize {
>         pap
>         if (noop && User-Password) {
>                 update control {
>                         Auth-Type := LDAP
>                 }
>         }
> }
>
>   Do this in raddb/sites-enabled/default, and raddb/sites-enabled/inner-tunnel.
> And also add "ldap" to the "authenticate" section for both virtual servers.

Thank you, this helps.
I had to enable in both 'servers'

*        Auth-Type LDAP {                ldap        }*
Otherwise, server complains on "Unknown or invalid value "LDAP" for
attribute Auth-Type"

--
Bogdan Rudas
Head of Minsk IT Support Department
E-mail: brudas at exadel.com
Skype ID: bogdan.rudas

--

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and files attached to it are
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified