Update on v4

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jul 3 18:16:30 CEST 2017

  There have been a lot of changes to the v4.0.x branch in the last few weeks.  I thought I'd take some time to give people updates as to what's happening, and what our plans are.

  As background, we've been working on re-designing the internals to remove RADIUS from the server core, and put it into a plug-in module.  This change makes many things simpler.  It lets DHCP change from a hack on top of RADIUS to a full-fledged protocol on par with RADIUS.  It lets us add many more protocols, with much less effort than before.

  The changes mean that in the short term, the old-style "listen" sections go away, and are replaced with new-style "listen" sections.  An unfortunate side-effect is that proxying is temporarily disabled, along with the "originate coa" functionality.

  The good news is that basic proxying is only a day or two effort away.  And once that's done, the "originate coa" functionality become about 20 lines of "unlang" configuration.  Where in v3, it was hundreds of lines of C code in the server core.

  Our tentative plan is to have an alpha release of v4 this year.  We can then have official releases once we've made a bit more progress.