Update on v4

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Tue Jul 4 03:40:22 CEST 2017

> On 3 Jul 2017, at 12:16, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
>
>  There have been a lot of changes to the v4.0.x branch in the last few weeks.  I thought I'd take some time to give people updates as to what's happening, and what our plans are.
>
>  As background, we've been working on re-designing the internals to remove RADIUS from the server core, and put it into a plug-in module.  This change makes many things simpler.  It lets DHCP change from a hack on top of RADIUS to a full-fledged protocol on par with RADIUS.  It lets us add many more protocols, with much less effort than before.
>
>  The changes mean that in the short term, the old-style "listen" sections go away, and are replaced with new-style "listen" sections.  An unfortunate side-effect is that proxying is temporarily disabled, along with the "originate coa" functionality.
>
>  The good news is that basic proxying is only a day or two effort away.  And once that's done, the "originate coa" functionality become about 20 lines of "unlang" configuration.  Where in v3, it was hundreds of lines of C code in the server core.

One of the major, fundamental, changes in v4.0.x was to remove the old proxying framework.  home servers, pools, realms and even proxy.conf have all been removed in favour of unhang.

The hope is that this will make for a much shallower learning curve, as proxying is now just the same as querying an SQL database, or calling a REST API.

-Arran