understanding NAS and accounting packets

Saurabh Shandilya saurabhshandilya.1991 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 23:21:08 CEST 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 2:15 AM, Alan Buxey <alan.buxey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Your wireless device (the dlink) is the NAS. If you're not seeing
> accounting packets at the RADIUS server then
>
> 1 can NAS do accounting?
> 2 is NAS configured to send packets?
> 3 acct is on UDP port 1813 , is that open and accessible on your AWS
> instance and OS?
> 4 is accounting listener enabled/configured on your FreeRADIUS server?
>
> alan
>
> Hi alan,

Thanks for your response.  So the next step is to figure out as what you
pointed out.

1.  I don't know if my dlink 850l can do accounting.  How to know that? All
I can see is a routerlogin page at my router page i.e. 192.168.0.1 and I
can nowhere see any sort of accounting thing.
Datasheet of this doesn't say anything like this too.
2. How to configure it for sending packets ??

Is this some kind of high order functionality that we receive in hardware
firewalls or some higher end routers ?

3. Yes on my aws instance, for testing purposes I have opened both the
ports and I can see in the freeradius debug output that it is listening on
that.
Here is the output of netstat
# netstat -aun
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State

udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:18120         0.0.0.0:*

udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1812            0.0.0.0:*

udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1813            0.0.0.0:*

udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1814            0.0.0.0:*

udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:68              0.0.0.0:*

udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:39817           0.0.0.0:*

4. Yes i have uncommented sql part in sites-enabled/default and other
sections.