Freeradius as a loadbalancer - logging dropped accounting requests

Aleš Rygl ales at rygl.net
Mon Jun 26 14:38:36 CEST 2017

Hi,
yes, nevertheless "dup" are just 21 packets over several days (and this is the
same for remaining home servers) while the LB instance dropped 2k of requests
within 2 hours... According to some other stats it dropping happens mainly
every hour in peaks. I was monitoring the number of threads and it is constant
all the time and there is really big headroom provide by config.

Ales

On pondělí 26. června 2017 8:25:33 CEST Alan DeKok wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2017, at 8:01 AM, Aleš Rygl <ales at rygl.net> wrote:
> > # echo "stats client acct" | radmin -d /etc/freeradius_04/
> > radmin> stats client acct
> > requests        159032334
> > dup             21
> > dropped         21
> >
> > Is there a way how to indetify the reason why are some req. dropped? I.e.
> > logging such requestest? LB  there is no lack of CPU or memory on the
> > server, no drops in the UDP stack..
>   See the "dup" field.
>
>   The NAS is sending duplicate Accounting-Request packets while the server
> is still processing the old one.  So, the new one is dropped.
>
>   This is usually because the RADIUS server is slow to respond to a
> particular request.  i.e. transient load spikes, etc.

Yes, this makes sense, nevertheless the balancer instance has