Freeradius as a loadbalancer - logging dropped accounting requests

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jun 26 14:53:23 CEST 2017

On Jun 26, 2017, at 8:38 AM, Aleš Rygl <ales at rygl.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> yes, nevertheless "dup" are just 21 packets over several days (and this is the
> same for remaining home servers) while the LB instance dropped 2k of requests
> within 2 hours... According to some other stats it dropping happens mainly
> every hour in peaks.

  Then it's a transient load issue.  Either there are peaks higher than the system can handle, or something else on the system is stealing CPU time.

> I was monitoring the number of threads and it is constant
> all the time and there is really big headroom provide by config.

  You can configure "max_requests" as high as you want, but if the system is starved for CPU, it will still drop packets.

  I've tested FR in simple configs at 20K packets/s on low-end systems.  If you're getting less than that (and you likely will), it's because the back-end database is slow, or the system is CPU starved, etc.

  If you're losing packets at 1000 packets/s, FreeRADIUS is not the cause.