3.0.12: Failed registering counter attribute ChilliSpot-Max-Output-Octets: Attribute 'ChilliSpot-Max-Output-Octets' already exists

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Mar 3 23:41:56 CET 2017

On Mar 3, 2017, at 5:30 PM, David Pires <david.pires at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have successfully got sql and sqlcounter mods working, (I have tested
> dailycounter/Max-Daily-Session) however when trying to add a counter to
> sqlcounter, I have run into the following error:
>
> =
> Failed registering counter attribute ChilliSpot-Max-Output-Octets:
> Attribute 'ChilliSpot-Max-Output-Octets' already exists
> =

  Don't use an existing attribute.  The attributes already have pre-defined meaning.

> When first adding the attribute I ran into this integer error:
>
> =
> /etc/freeradius/mods-enabled/sqlcounter[101]: Counter attribute
> ChilliSpot-Max-Output-Octets MUST be integer64
> =
>
> I rectified this by editing the chillispot dictionary and changing integer
> to integer64.

  Don't edit the dictionaries.  You're re-defining *someone else's* attribute.  It means that you can no longer get FreeRADIUS to work with their equipment.

> Is there something critical configuration-wise that I have missed between
> 2.x.x and 3.x.x?

  You should use a different attribute for the counter.  i.e. an attribute which is specifically for the sqlcounter, and not one you've taken from someone else's dictionaries.

  It will then work.