Update User-Name

Stefan Paetow Stefan.Paetow at jisc.ac.uk
Mon Sep 11 22:23:38 CEST 2017

>>If they're your users, then you should authenticate them.  You don't
>>need to edit the User-Name.  You don't need to proxy.
>> Describe the problem you're trying to solve.
>
>We are a small entity next to a big university. The neighbouring
>university allows its users to connect to eduroam locally without
>specifying the realm in the username, but this can lead to problems
>because their users are often not aware that they need to use the full
>username if they wish to roam.

That is exceptionally bad behaviour. You should have a word with the uni
next door, and if necessary, get eduroam UK (i.e. Jisc) involved to get
them to prod the uni into sticking to protocol (which is that you use the
full email-address-style username/NAI).

>We get many visitors from the university and their perception is that
>our wireless is broken. I want to make it easier for those visitors to
>connect to eduroam, because I can't explain to all visitors that they

That's bad behaviour. It only lets them continue their bad behaviour which
then causes the same problems elsewhere (wherever they encounter eduroam).
As much as it is 'not my problem'(TM), having a word with the IT
department at the uni can resolve this better.

>should user their full username. I need to proxy and I think that need
>to add the realm to the username, otherwise the eduroam NRPS won't
>know what to do with the request.

Well, precisely. The NRPS follows eduroam protocols, as should the
university in question.

Stefan Paetow
Moonshot Industry & Research Liaison Coordinator

t: +44 (0)1235 822 125
gpg: 0x3FCE5142
xmpp: stefanp at jabber.dev.ja.net
skype: stefan.paetow.janet

jisc.ac.uk

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by
guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT
No. GB 197 0632 86. JiscĀ¹s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower
Hill, Bristol, BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.