How to install a new module in freeradius 3.x?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Sep 26 22:10:09 CEST 2017

On Sep 26, 2017, at 3:48 PM, Igor Sousa <igorvolt at gmail.com> wrote:
> *Sometimes I think that miss some information in wiki.freeradius.org
> because I usually don't find what I search in it. I believe that  I forget
> something or I search to wrong way, though it's only my opinion.
>
> Do you have some tip to find documentations about freeradius, in specially
> about accounting configurations?

  If you can't find something, ask on the list.

  The configuration files have a lot of documentation.  Each module documents what it does.  Each virtual server documents what it does.

  The Wiki documents common use-cases, and non-configuration things.

  The main problem is that it's very difficult to write documentation that describes *how* to do things.  e.g. "how do I configure the server to do X".

  The wiki contains some howto documentation.  But not huge amounts.

  The reason it's difficult to write this documentation is that everyone's RADIUS server is different.  Everyone has custom rules, everyone's NAS sends different data.

  So when people ask "how do I configure my custom rules", the answer is usually "well, see what your NAS sends, decide what you want the server to do, read the docs to see how to do that, and configure the server".

  This isn't DHCP or DNS.  Both of those protocols are pretty simple in comparison to RADIUS.

DNS: I have IP address, tell me the name.

DHCP: I don't have an IP, but here's my MAC.  Please give me an IP

RADIUS: I'm logging in via EAP with a certificate, anonymous outer user-name, real inner user-name, please look up the inner user in LDAP groups, and then return VLAN information based on which group they're in

  Uh... that's about 10x more complicated than either DNS or DHCP.