Waking up in 999995.9 seconds.

Duncan Carter duncan.carter at comms365.com
Mon Jul 9 15:38:28 CEST 2018

Afternoon all,

We've got about 20 freeradius servers running for different customers, all have been happily running for months, the only config change I'm aware of is an additional interface on a new IP that's not currently in use.

Last week, we started getting the following error coming up in the logs:

                Error: Dropping request (1025 is too many): from client admin port 58950 - ID: 81 ...

We've been restarting radiusd to get the service working again, but I've had a chance to run radiusd in debug mode today, and this stands out in the log files:
tail -f radiusd_-X_debug.log | grep Waking
Waking up in 0.3 seconds.
Waking up in 999994.6 seconds.
Waking up in 1999991.9 seconds.
Waking up in 0.3 seconds.
Waking up in 4.6 seconds.
Waking up in 3.9 seconds.
Waking up in 999995.9 seconds.
Waking up in 1999991.9 seconds.
Waking up in 3997746.1 seconds.

Looking at that, it's only a matter of time before the 1024 threads/max_requests are asleep.

Can someone tell me why it's going to sleep for so long?

Am I barking up the wrong tree?  We've got other servers with far more clients and not having any problems with them.

Many thanks in advance,

Duncan.