FreeRadius tools to gather statistics

work vlpl thework.vlpl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 08:35:12 CEST 2018

Hi,

>From documentation/wiki I found two tools to gather statistics from
FreeRadius - radsniff and status server.
First show statistic for radius protocol packets.
Second can show counters for Access-Accept/Access-Reject response -
this is exactly what I need. But I have a little concern about it. If
radius server will stop working, counters will be reseted. And if for
example I query status server every 10 seconds, then statistics at
least for last 10 seconds may be lost - it is not big deal but it is
not desirable.

Are there any tools to gather statistics from FreeRadius? Excluding
log processing.
Maybe there is exists mechanism to save status server counter between
FreeRadius server restarts? For example like
iptables-save/iptables-restore can do.

And default configuration for status servers contains the next warning
"Due to internal limitations, the statistics might not be exactly up
to date.  Do not expect all of the numbers to add up perfectly."

Does it means that statistic counters always are approximate values?
Or if FreeRadius will idle for some time the counters values will be
updated to actual values?

--
Vladimir