Updating Multipe variables with one SQL Query

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Apr 7 21:33:10 CEST 2019

On Apr 7, 2019, at 3:24 PM, Richard J Palmer <richard at merula.net> wrote:
> I have spoken to Adrian/RevK It's something they are looking at but not a 'simple' change - so not something happening 'immediately'.

  If there's a User-Name, it should be sent in accounting packets.  The same goes for Calling-Station-ID, which is usually the MAC address.

  Doing anything else is severely unfriendly to every other RADIUS system.

> Currently they set 'Chargeable-User-Identity' which is OK - and I could use that. The Firebrick does not hold the username (as things stand) once the session is setup

> - BUT we don't have the chargeable ID until the auth start hits freeradius Which means it's not available at the time of the IP allocation

  I'm not sure I understand that.  CUI is sent by the RADIUS server to the NAS.  The NAS *never* creates a CUI and sends it to the server.  See RFC 4372 for details.

> The reason for not returning the Framed-IP they say is that the devices allow multiple IPs and the framed IP can be changed with a CoA request even - which can be nice - you can even have multiple routing tables - so you can have the sane IP in multiple IPs in different tables in a scenario like this (putting some users into walled gardens). Obviously in this scenario it won't change

  That doesn't make sense.

  If the RADIUS server sends a Framed-IP-Address to the NAS, the NAS should echo it back in accounting packets.  If the Framed-IP-Address is changed in a CoA request, then the NAS should echo the *new* Framed-IP-Address in subsequent accounting requests.

> I totally agree it is unhelpful in this case and I am not defending them - Just some of their thinking when I asked them- I will continue to nudge this one!

  They can ask RADIUS people for help.

  i.e. EVERYONE PLEASE ASK.

  It's better to fix things in the engineering stage.  The alternative is to ship garbage, and then have the poor users wonder why the software isn't compatible with anything else.