Freeradius with Docker - got Unknown CA error

Matthew Newton mcn at freeradius.org
Fri Aug 9 13:07:06 CEST 2019

On Thu, 2019-08-08 at 18:46 -0700, Jiuyu Sun wrote:
> Using the same set of certificate, I can run the server directly in
> Ubuntu.
> So I doubt the issue is in my Dockerfile.

If those certs work in Ubuntu, but don't in Docker, then that really
does point to a problem in your Dockerfile.

> In my Dockerfile:
>
> FROM ubuntu:18.04
> RUN apt-get update &&\
>     apt-get install -y freeradius
> RUN adduser radius
> WORKDIR /radius
> EXPOSE 1812/udp 1813/udp
> COPY radiusd.conf /radius/
> COPY certs/* /radius/certs/
> CMD ["/usr/sbin/freeradius", "-d", ".","-f","-x","-lstdout"]
>
> I copied all the certificates under the current certs/ directory to
> /radius/certs/ in the docker environment. In the docker environment,
> there are still certificate under /etc/freeradius/3.0/certs, will
> FreeRadius use those certificates instead?

That's where the default configuration says to read them from. If you
don't change the eap config, it will still read them from there. Read
the debug output to see what files it is loading. (Or you could paste
the full debug output to the list, as mentioned here pretty much every
day.)

Rather than making up your own Dockerfile, why not use the official
ones?

https://hub.docker.com/r/freeradius/freeradius-server

--
Matthew