What is the current status and roadmap for FreeRadius?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Mar 15 19:18:30 CET 2019

On Mar 15, 2019, at 2:07 PM, Joshua Marshall <j.marshall at arroyo.io> wrote:

> I don't have a problem needing solving, but I would like context about
> FreeRadius.  What is happening with the v4 work?

  Lots.  There's a lot to do, but it's making good progress.

https://wiki.freeradius.org/design/version4/Home

>  What changes and challenges are being faced?

  The main challenge is time.

  The changes are sweeping.  While the configuration files look largely similar, almost everything has changed under the hood.

  Things which used to be impossible are now trivial.  But some simple things have unfortunately gotten more complex.

  The main thing is that the requests are now fully asynchronous.  The interpreter has it's own scheduler, and each request has it's own interpreter stack.  The result is that the server needs fewer threads to actually run things.

>  What does the roadmap look like?

  See the Wiki page above.

>  Is there going to be a formalization of unlang?

  What does that mean?

> What work is currently being done?

  Lots and lots.  The best thing here is to watch the git log.

  Perhaps a better question is this: What are you looking for?

  i.e. if you just want to know about v4, download it and look.  On the other hand, if you're looking for a particular feature, then it's best to ask about that.