Issue 2828 and building against atomics.

Matthew Schumacher matt.s at aptalaska.net
Fri Nov 15 20:35:08 CET 2019

Backstory:
https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/issues/2828

This patch:
https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/commit/5a7df325116a3c2e995e5b37d8f77665336f1caf

Fixes a build issue on Debian where it needs to link against atomics to
compile.  On slackware, that patch also causes the build system to link
against libatomics, but as that library is in the gcc-5.5.0 tarball,
slackware includes it in the gcc package thus making the freeradius
binary require the entire gcc build suite package on this platform.

If I revert the patch, it doesn't link against libatomic and thus I no
longer have this dependency.  Alan suggested installing libatomic as the
solution, and while I can make a package for that, I don't understand
what I would be loosing by omitting -latomic from the linker and
building without it.  Can someone explain why I shouldn't just revert
the patch in my build script and eliminate this dependency?

Thanks,
schu