New install samba or LDAP

Tony Skalski ajs at stolaf.edu
Wed Dec 9 20:49:56 CET 2020

Hi Folks,

After years of running NPS for RADIUS we are getting started with
freeRADIUS. Use will be primarily for our eduroam 802.1x wireless network.
We have a single site with 4 AD DCs. Expected load is a few authentications
per second (4,000 users, 10K+ devices).

A few years back we migrated away from samba/winbind and all systems now
use an LDAP-based sssd config. Most of the freeRADIUS guides I've come
across document using samba; we are more familiar with LDAP than samba.

What is the recommendation for new installations - samba or LDAP? Are there
significant pros and cons to either approach? Thanks!

ajs
--
*Tony Skalski*
System Administrator | IT

*Office: *507-786-3227 <(507)786-3227>
1510 St. Olaf Avenue Northfield, MN 55057
stolaf.edu