New install samba or LDAP

Tony Skalski ajs at stolaf.edu
Wed Dec 9 21:31:24 CET 2020

Thanks. We do have AD, and will use it for authn and authz. The LDAP config
looked more straightforward than the samba config. Are there any downsides
to using just LDAP in an AD environment?

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 2:08 PM Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2020, at 2:49 PM, Tony Skalski via Freeradius-Users <
> freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote
> > After years of running NPS for RADIUS we are getting started with
> > freeRADIUS. Use will be primarily for our eduroam 802.1x wireless
> network.
> > We have a single site with 4 AD DCs. Expected load is a few
> authentications
> > per second (4,000 users, 10K+ devices).
> >
> > A few years back we migrated away from samba/winbind and all systems now
> > use an LDAP-based sssd config. Most of the freeRADIUS guides I've come
> > across document using samba; we are more familiar with LDAP than samba.
>
>   The main reason people use Samba is for integration with Active
> Directory.  If you're not using AD, there's less reason to use Samba.
>
> > What is the recommendation for new installations - samba or LDAP? Are
> there
> > significant pros and cons to either approach? Thanks!
>
>   If you don't need AD, just use LDAP.
>
>   Alan DeKok.
>

> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

*Tony Skalski*
System Administrator | IT

*Office: *507-786-3227 <(507)786-3227>
1510 St. Olaf Avenue Northfield, MN 55057
stolaf.edu