VSA with Vendor 0 Attribute 0 - Have you ever seen this?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Feb 12 14:39:10 CET 2020

On Feb 12, 2020, at 7:19 AM, Stefan Paetow <Stefan.Paetow at jisc.ac.uk> wrote:

> Just a quick question... has anyone ever seen a RADIUS request/response containing a vendor-specific attribute with vendor 0, attribute 0? That's not an IANA packet, is it? I mean... IANA would just be non-VSA.

  Nope.  I haven't seen it, and it's not in any standard.

> Is this a possible misconfiguration somewhere?

  Only if you go out of your way to create a vendor dictionary with vendor ID 0, and then an attribute 0, and then manually add it to the configuration.

  If that attribute is coming from a NAS, then the NAS is broken.

  FreeRADIUS may make mistakes internally, it doesn't create bad RADIUS packets.