Multiple radius clients from one IP

Xander Lammertink jooppy92 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 9 13:57:01 CET 2020

Hi all,

I was working on setting up FreeRADIUS, however I came across the following problem:

I'd like to have the clients of my access point with multiple SSIDs to authenticate using radius.
The way I tried to set this up was by creating multiple clients each having their own secret and refer to a virtual server.
Based on the radius client, the preferred virtual server would be chosen that would select the desired authentication mechanism.

However, when I create two clients with the same "ipaddr" (which is the case for my access point), I get the following error:
freeradius[1234]: Failed to add duplicate client client_name

When reading the link below I see it's possible to use my approach, except the ipaddr thing is making stuff difficult.
https://networkradius.com/doc/3.0.10/raddb/sites-available/home.html

So is there a way to have multiple clients authenticate from the same IP address (each referring to another virtual server) without listing on multiple tcp/udp ports?

Thanks for your help!

Current non-working high-level configuration:

listen {
client one {
        ipaddr = 10.0.0.2
        virtual_server = server_one