Freeradius, BYOD and certs

Adam Taylor ataylor at ulm.edu
Thu Dec 2 22:38:02 CET 2021

You need to generate a CSR in FreeRadius and get a cert signed by a CA.

You then need to only modify your eap module config file to point to the new cert files.

The cert needs to be set with multiple aliases if you have multiple FreeRadius servers.  We have two and the cert is good for radius1.XXX.com and radius2.xxx.com with the main cert FQDN, the domain you enter in Android, of the cert as auth.xxx.com

So our users type in auth.xxx.com for domain and their user/pass and get auth'd and on the network.  We use PEAP where FreeRadius queries our LDAP server for the users NT/LM hashes and auths....our LDAP is NOT the one deciding yes/no for authentication....that's FreeRadius's job....not LDAP's.

We ran into this back when Android starting enforcing the cert requirement on the Dec 2020 update patch.  I'm not in any way connected to the FreeRadius group here though so YMMV depending on version and other things.  Just trying to be helpful and help point you in the right direction.  We have had this config running since March without any issues to report.  Good Luck!

Adam