Recommended IP pool module + IPv6 + stickiness

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Feb 3 13:04:14 CET 2021

On Feb 3, 2021, at 5:00 AM, Vegard Svanberg <vegard at svanberg.no> wrote:

> I'm looking into centralising PPPoE IP address pool
> assignment/distribution and am setting up a test environment.
>
> Backend is SQL. I looked into sqlippool and sqlhpwippool, without
> managing to decide whether one is better than the other. Any
> suggestions? Just pick one and go with it?

  Use sqlippool.  The other one is not maintained, and has no default configuration or queries.

> Then there's IPv6. As far as I can see the above modules don't support
> v6.

  sqlippool supports IPv6.  It's actually doesn't care about IP address types.  It just does queries to allocate / find / release "things".  So it works for RADIUS and DHCP, for both IPv4 and IPv6.

> This is not a major blocker as we could assign large enough pools to
> the NASes and let them handle v6 assignments. But still would be nice to
> have this centrally. Are there any modules supporting v6 yet?

  See above.  This is being used in production.

  You just have to edit the queries to use IPv6 attributes instead of IPv4 ones.  We should really have an example of this in the default config...

> Lastly: Currently the NAS devices have a "semi-sticky" assignment
> policy. If a client disconnects and reconnects, they'll usually get the
> same IP. This is not configurable, so I don't know the internals (like
> timeout etc). Just wondering if it's straight-forward to mimic this in
> FR.

  See raddb/mods-config/sql/ippool/*/queries.conf.  This is the default.

  If you don't see comments about allocating "the address a client previously had", use 3.0.20, or grab v3.0.x from GitHub.  We'll release the next version real soon now.