Version 3.0.22 has been released

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon May 17 16:58:46 CEST 2021

On May 17, 2021, at 9:54 AM, Matthew Newton <mcn at freeradius.org> wrote:

> Version 3.0.22 has now been released. It's been rather a long delay due to a number of reasons, but hopefully worth the wait.

  This is a major improvement in functionality over 3.0.21.

  One major reason for the delay was due to standardization of TLS 1.3 with EAP.  As of last week, we have agreement on what TLS 1.3 with EAP should look like.

  Both FreeRADIUS and Microsoft are shipping code based on the early agreement of the standard.  The next rev of Windows with this functionality is likely in the fall.  3.0.22 supports it now.  The final specification may be done in December, possibly later.

  I've been working behind the scenes with the Microsoft team for about six months now, to finalize the implementations of the standard.  Hostap also supports this standard, but does not (as yet) have an official release which supports it.

  If Google picks up the hostap code, then Android should support TLS 1.3 with EAP, perhaps in the fall.  Apple doesn't talk to anyone else, so we don't know what their plans are.

  As of today, FreeRADIUS is the first one to support TLS 1.3 with EAP.  Which means again, we're the leader in this space.