Additional backslash being added in password

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Apr 8 13:07:26 UTC 2022

On Apr 8, 2022, at 6:02 AM, Burn Zero <burnzerog at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using FreeRADIUS version - 3.0.17

  I suggest upgrading, but OK/

> While investigating some login authentication failures, I found that if the
> user has a backslash \ in their password, then another backslash is being
> added and the login fails.

  Added... where?  Which module are you using?  If you read the docs, you'll see that you should be using / posting the debug output.  That will help us help you.

  The issue is that there's a lot of string expansion going on in various places.  For example, when attributes are used in SQL queries.

  But... you should never use passwords in SQL queries.  That doesn't make sense.

> For example: if a user has a password R at ndom\String, then in FreeRADIUS it
> is being taken as R at ndom\\String. ( one more backslash is added ).
>
> Could you please let me know how to make FreeRADIUS accept the single
> backslash character as it is and not to add extra backslash?

  The default configuration works.  The default queries / password checks work, even when passwords have backslashes.

  What did you change?  Can you post the debug output, as suggested in ALL of the documentation?