How I can properly send error reasons for EAP requests Access-Reject?

Matthew Newton mcn at freeradius.org
Wed Aug 3 15:31:32 UTC 2022

On 03/08/2022 16:24, work vlpl wrote:
> I have a requirement to provide the reason why authentication failed.
> For non-EAP clients, it is easy just include Reply-Message in
> Access-Reject packet. But for EAP clients RFC says Reply-Message
> should not be sent with EAP-Message together.

Because the NAS gets the Reply-Message attribute, not the end user
device, which only sees the EAP transaction.

So Reply-Message will never get to the user.

> And I've read RFC 3579 more.

No EAP supplicants display a message back to the user.

So there's no point worrying what any of the RFCs say. If the
supplicants being used don't do it, then you can't do it.

--
Matthew