Providing dynamic DHCP leases for multiple routers on multiple interfaces

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Aug 4 13:37:54 UTC 2022

On Aug 3, 2022, at 8:03 PM, Matthew McTague via Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:
> I want to use FreeRADIUS to provide DHCP, using a MySQL database to store information.
>
> I have multiple MikroTik routers that each have DHCP Relay configured for multiple interfaces, with unique local / source addresses.
> I want to configure an IP pool per interface, and authenticate client devices by mac address.

  What information about the interfaces shows up in the packet?  i.e. Option 82, or... ?

> I see I can configure clients in sites-available/dhcp using their IPv4 addresses, and I think this will allow me to set IP-Pool.Name for each client. In my scenario, these clients would each represent a DHCP Relay configured for a specific interface on a MikroTik router).

  That could work.

> I understand that I can use mods-available/sqlippool to configure IP pools using an SQL table. I like this, it's ideal for my needs.
> Rather than storing these clients in sites-available/dhcp, I would like to store these in MySQL. Is this possible?

  See mods-available/sql.  Clients can be stored in SQL.

> For authenticating by mac address, I understand that I can include sql.authorize in sites-available/dhcp and this will allow me to authenticate using the radcheck and radreply tables.

  Yes.

> Would this plan work, and is this the correct way to achieve my goal?

  That should work.

  As always, test each piece all by itself.  Test one thing at a time.  Read the debug output.

  It feels slow, but it's infinitely faster than randomly changing ten things at the same time, and hoping that it all magically starts working.