split an accounting attribute in two and write two new attributes to MySQL

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Feb 16 15:21:24 UTC 2022

On Feb 14, 2022, at 3:49 PM, xaled at web.de wrote:
> I want to split the Acct-Session-Id attribute from account stop request at
> the "/" sign and write the two resulting parts in to two separate columns in
> a MySQL DB.

  The best way to do this is via a regular expression:

	if (Acct-Session-Id =~ /^(...)/(...)/) {
		update request {
			Split-Session-ID += "%{1}"
			Split-Session-ID += "%{2}"
		}

  You'll have to use a real regular expression, of course But it should work.

> My limited understanding of the way to approach it is have something like a
> local variable defined that would take the results of the explode operations
> and then use this new variable to write the splited content in two columns
> in a MySQL DB.

  The "explode" operation won't create two attributes, though.  It will assign the results only to one attribute.

> From your comment I seem to get that there is no concept of something like
> local variables in FreeRADIUS that can be freely defined and operated upon.
> I would need to have attributes defined within the dictionary that would act
> as the variables that I need.

  Yes.

> Given the explanation would it be the right way to proceed?
> * Defining a new attribute in raddb/dictionary that would hold the results
> of the splitting.

  Yes.

> * Add update request section to preacct:

  No.  Just use a regular expression.

> * in MySQL driver-specific configuration use:
>
> '%{Split-Session-ID[1]}', \
> '%{Split-Session-ID[2]}', \

  That should work.