Proxy response_window issue

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jun 13 14:43:40 UTC 2022

On Jun 13, 2022, at 7:20 AM, JS SV <jssv51997 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I'm having a behavior that I don't fully understand when using proxy
> timers. I am using radclient to do the tests and I find that if radclient
> sends, for example, 3 retransmissions (timeout) the timers do not add up.

  The timers operate as documented.  The usual confusion is that people think all of the timers are global.  They're not.

  The response_window is per-packet.  It requires the client to keep resending packets for the timers to run.  There is no global timer which tracks responses across all packets.

  As a result, if the client sends one packet and stops, the server never notices that "response_window" has been hit.  The server has to receive multiple retransmissions from the client.

  So "response_window" doesn't work as most people think it does.  But it does work as documented.

  There's no global response_window timer because it's difficult (and slow) to keep such a timer across multiple threads.