FreeRADIUS acting slow? Check your database(s)

Network RADIUS marketing at networkradius.com
Mon Mar 7 14:33:03 UTC 2022

** My FreeRADIUS server is slow. What’s wrong?
If you are encountering performance issues with FreeRADIUS, the first thought is usually to blame FreeRADIUS. In fact, it’s always the database which is the source of a system slowdown. Well, maybe not always, but 99 times out of a 100, it’s the database.

It is extremely unlikely that FreeRADIUS is the culprit when you notice slow performance. Here’s how we know.

We have run tests running the server with a minimal configuration, i.e. no database, and minimal processing rules. These tests can easily reach 40,000-50,000 packets per second. But when we add a database such as SQL, the performance drops significantly, to around two thousand packets per second.

Given that FreeRADIUS alone can handle 40K pps, and FreeRADIUS with a DB can only handle 2K pps, the question is do we blame FreeRADIUS, or the DB for the slow performance? In our experience, the database is almost always the performance bottleneck.

Read the full article…
https://networkradius.com/articles/2022/01/10/its-always-the-database.html

** Sign up to get this content directly
Want to get these articles in all their HTML glory?
Sign up here: http://eepurl.com/hwuWrn

** Need RADIUS help?
Get commercial support from the team behind FreeRADIUS.
https://networkradius.com/request/

** What is the relationship between Network RADIUS and FreeRADIUS?
FreeRADIUS is an open source implementation of the RADIUS protocol and was written by Alan DeKok in 1999.

Network RADIUS is a private, for-profit company founded by Alan DeKok which provides commercial support for FreeRADIUS. The Network RADIUS team has been the primary contributor to FreeRADIUS for the last 20 years. The FreeRADIUS mailing list, wiki, and documentation are all moderated and maintained by the Network RADIUS team.

FreeRADIUS has always been, and will always continue to be, open source. The Network RADIUS team provides commercial support to paying clients, and free product development for the FreeRADIUS community at large.

All of our software development for FreeRADIUS is integrated into the Open Source platform, and will always continue to be.