Releasing 3.0.26 and 3.2.0 soon

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Mar 31 13:04:48 UTC 2022

On Mar 31, 2022, at 7:20 AM, Matthew Newton <mcn at freeradius.org> wrote:
> Unfortunately as Alan said due to OpenSSL 3 we've put more into 3.0.x than planned since 3.0.25 when we announced it would be bug fixes/security only.
>
> We felt it was necessary to ensure 3.0.x would continue to work with OpenSSL 3 and TLS 1.3 going forwards, otherwise it would become EOL a lot faster than planned.

  OpenSSL3 was *unnecessarily* different from OpenSSL1.  And it was difficult to add support for OpenSSL3 without breaking OpenSSL1.

  TLS 1.3 was similar.  And adding OpenSSL3 to that was not fun.

  That being said, TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 have been officially deprecated by the relevant standards bodies.  Most operating systems are in the process of removing them or disabling them.  OpenSSL is doing something similar.

  For the short term, TSL 1.2 is really the only option for most deployments.  As OS vendors add support for TLS 1.3, that will become more widely used, and preferred.

> All being well we will release 3.2.0 within the next couple of weeks, and 3.0.26 shortly after.

  And both are frozen until then, for anything other than doc / bug / security fixes.