[EXTERNAL] Re: Performance issues

Winfield, Alister (Senior Solutions Architect) Alister.Winfield at sky.uk
Tue Oct 4 13:45:17 UTC 2022

Remember that the query may take <1s but the time for the query response at the client can be >5s. Its often because there is a queue built up of requests and the DB is too slow to service them thus the ‘enqueued’ ones are around for too long. Fixing is mostly make the DB faster eg by adding another server and synchronising the data, fixing indexes, ensuring queries aren’t idiotic (eg full table scans). Sometimes it’s the network eg TLS using a dumb slow random number source that’s not getting enough entropy so blocking or perhaps might be packet loss, etc etc etc.

Sadly, this is all about analysing the system bit by bit until you find the real issue and fixing that.. For your sanity start at the bottom of the stack and work up. FreeRadius is highly unlikely to be the problem. It comfortably handles 30K requests per second and without much effort can do much more.

From: Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users-bounces+alister.winfield=sky.uk at lists.freeradius.org> on behalf of Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>
Date: Tuesday, 4 October 2022 at 14:31
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Performance issues
On Oct 4, 2022, at 8:45 AM, Imdad Hasan <imdadalikadiwala0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am checking the slow query logs from the last 3 days and still it's not
> any slow query logs more than 2 secs from FreeRADIUS queries.
>
> Please suggest what I should do. I checked all the things.

  I really can't explain things any more than I already have.

  FreeRADIUS doesn't lie about "SQL module is blocked".  That means that FreeRADIUS calls SQL, and SQL does not respond for 5 seconds.

  Whether it's SQL or the network, it doesn't matter.  In extreme cases, it could be some other process on the same system consuming 100% CPU for 5 seconds, and "starving" FreeRADIUS.

  But what is absolutely true is that this is not a FreeRADIUS issue.  No amount of poking FreeRADIUS will solve the problem.

  The problem is somewhere in your local network.  We cannot help you with that.

  Alan DeKok.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.freeradius.org%2Flist%2Fusers.html&data=05%7C01%7Calister.winfield%40sky.uk%7C68d15fc2d6244994576708daa60cbc60%7C68b865d5cf184b2b82a4a4eddb9c5237%7C0%7C0%7C638004870897536710%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=vuAqRg6iOjKeTD0xb2tMkfYSjGqBWke%2FNaif%2FIAsIEw%3D&reserved=0
This email is from an external source. Please do not open attachments or click links from an unknown or suspicious origin. Phishing attempts can be reported by using the report message button in Outlook or sending them as an attachment to phishing at sky.uk. Thank you
Information in this email including any attachments may be privileged, confidential and is intended exclusively for the addressee. The views expressed may not be official policy, but the personal views of the originator. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete it from your system. You should not reproduce, distribute, store, retransmit, use or disclose its contents to anyone. Please note we reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communication through our internal and external networks. SKY and the SKY marks are trademarks of Sky Limited and Sky International AG and are used under licence.

Sky UK Limited (Registration No. 2906991), Sky-In-Home Service Limited (Registration No. 2067075), Sky Subscribers Services Limited (Registration No. 2340150) and Sky CP Limited (Registration No. 9513259) are direct or indirect subsidiaries of Sky Limited (Registration No. 2247735). All of the companies mentioned in this paragraph are incorporated in England and Wales and share the same registered office at Grant Way, Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 5QD