looking for help on an unusual config

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Sep 22 00:16:19 UTC 2022

On Sep 21, 2022, at 4:45 PM, dan <dandenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.  I'm looking for some help to make a rather unusual config for a
> radius backed DHCP server
>
> I want the DHCP server to hand out addresses based on an 'id' that is in a
> descending list of fields in the DHCP request.  This is using DHCP Option
> 82 to add in Agent remote id and circuit id.
>
> so, remote id, then circuit id, then mac address in that order.  If there's
> no remote id, then use circuit id and so on.

  You can use nested expansions / alternation...

	%{%{%{remote-id}:-%{circuit-id}}:-%{mac-address}}

  See the debug output for the actual names of the attributes.

  Use that for the key, and then whatever is there will just work.

> It appears that all DHCP servers work under the assumption that if you want
> to do something like this you'll radius back it against a database w/ CRM
> etc.  I don't really care about the database part of this initially.
>
> Thoughts?  is this something freeradius can be configured to handle without
> adding a database backend?

  It's difficult to do DHCP assignment without a database.  You generally need some way to track the IP address assignments.