RADSEC / TLS errors but not sure why

James Wood james.wood at purplewifi.com
Mon Aug 7 20:17:12 UTC 2023

>   I've tried repeatedly to explain, so I'm not sure what isn't getting
across.   It's NEGOTIATION.  That means BOTH SIDES HAVE TO AGREE ON THE
CIPHERS.

I know, and understand. I am reading your replies, and they are most helpful.
I am asking follow up questions because although everything you are saying
makes sense, I haven't been able to get it working.

I am using an out the box freeradius 3.2.3 config with modified tls and eap
sections as per my original post. I thought you said openssl handles all
the TLS comms, therefore apart from setting the path to my certs, what else
can I do in freeradius config to help? Therefore the comments and
documentation don't help me solve this because I've not set anything that
would cause this.

I am using an out the box ubuntu installation and openssl library with no
cipher restrictions set either side.

When I start a server using:

------

openssl s_server

-key /usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/my_key.key

-cert /usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/my_key.crt

-chainCAfile /usr/local/etc/raddb/certs/my_key.ca

-accept 2083 -www

------

the same client can successfully establish a connection, but that fails
when the freeradius daemon is running using the same key/cert/ca

This is why I am bouncing messages back and forth, not because I'm
questioning your advice. Please don't take it that I'm not listening.