Respond with access-accept when password incorrect

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Feb 7 21:13:52 UTC 2023

On Feb 7, 2023, at 4:01 PM, Steven Walters <steven.walters1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> We have guest broadband user accounts. I would like RADIUS to respond with
> access-accept on PAP even if the password is incorrect. I will then write
> to the database to indicate the session has an incorrect password and allow
> the PPPoE to connect to the internet.
>
> This will allow the agent to access the CPE to update the password.
>
> What is the best way to achieve this, that is to respond with an
> authentication success even if the password is incorrect for a specific
> username?

  You can just use the "accept" policy:

authorize {
	accept
}

  And it will accept the user.

  If you're actually checking passwords, it will have to be a bit different:

authenticate {
	Auth-Type pap {
			pap {
				reject = 1
			}

			if (reject) {
				accept

  Though I would strongly recommend putting these users into a limited VLAN.  They should have access to update the password, but shouldn't be allowed to connect to the internet.