FreeRadius Integration with Microsoft Active Directory

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Jan 9 17:22:01 UTC 2023

On Jan 9, 2023, at 12:17 PM, Singh, Ramanpreet via Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:
> Thank you for your response. From your response I understand, even if my AD Domain is running on MS (Microsoft), I can join the RHEL to AD domain using 'winbind daemon', which I did.

  As I said.... the documentation is correct.  Marco is correct that winbind is needed, but you *also* need Samba.

  FreeRADIUS talks to Winbind.  Winbind connects to Samba.   Samba joins the AD domain.

  This is all documented.  Follow the documentation and it will work.

> After joining the RHEL 8 Server to domain, 'winbind' is still not working, it's giving the below error.
>
> [root at localhost.domain.com]# wbinfo -a FreeRADIUSdev2
> Enter FreeRADIUSdev2's password:
> plaintext password authentication failed
> Could not authenticate user FreeRADIUSdev2 with plaintext password
> Enter FreeRADIUSdev2's password:
> could not obtain winbind interface details: WBC_ERR_WINBIND_NOT_AVAILABLE
> could not obtain winbind separator!

  This is an issue with winbind and/or Samba.  Ask the Samba people how their software works.

  Alan DEKok.