Unable to start freerad with sudo

Hermann Lauer Hermann.Lauer at uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Jul 20 06:13:50 UTC 2023

Hi Stanislav,

On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 07:57:55AM +0200, Stanislav Lorenc wrote:
> sudo -u www-data /usr/sbin/freeradius -f
> radiusd: ERROR - Cannot initialize supplementary group list for user
> freerad: Operation not permitted
>
> sudo -u www-data /usr/sbin/service freeradius start
> Failed to start freeradius.service: Access denied
> See system logs and 'systemctl status freeradius.service' for details.

What are the details saying?

You could try "su www-data" or "su www-data -" and then start the freeradius
server to see which of the two steps fail.

BTW: Using www-data as freeradius user looks very strange to me.

Greetings
  Hermann

--
Administration/Zentrale Dienste, Interdiziplinaeres
Zentrum fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen der Universitaet Heidelberg
Email: Hermann.Lauer at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de