Unable to start freerad with sudo

Stanislav Lorenc stanislav.lorenc at cernovice.net
Thu Jul 20 05:57:55 UTC 2023

Hi,

I can`t start freerad with sudo under lxc

Under debug mode server is started:

sudo -u www-data /usr/sbin/freeradius -f -X
Listening on auth address * port 5000 bound to server
test_local_pppoe_services
Listening on acct address * port 1813 bound to server
test_local_pppoe_services
Listening on proxy address * port 52599
Ready to process requests

but in the service command server failed

sudo -u www-data /usr/sbin/freeradius -f
radiusd: ERROR - Cannot initialize supplementary group list for user
freerad: Operation not permitted

sudo -u www-data /usr/sbin/service freeradius start
Failed to start freeradius.service: Access denied
See system logs and 'systemctl status freeradius.service' for details.

I went through all the logs, but I can't find anywhere if the problem is
in radius, systemd, lxc or apparmor.

Thanks for tips

Regards

SL