Building freeradius against mariadb client library

Bill Schoolfield bill at billmax.com
Fri Jul 21 15:25:28 UTC 2023

On 7/21/2023 8:04 AM, Matthew Newton via Freeradius-Users wrote:
> On 20/07/2023 23:21, Bill Schoolfield wrote:
>> On 7/20/2023 5:05 PM, Matthew Newton via Freeradius-Users wrote:
> >>
>>> dpkg-query won't query the repos, so you'll only see things that are
>>> already installed.
>>
>> Thanks I was using these command interchangeably. Debian is new to me
>> and it seems there are many commands for getting info on packages.
>
> Understood... I've been using Debian ~25 years and I don't think I've
> ever used dpkg-query before. Generally you should stick to the 'apt'
> commands and ignore 'dpkg' until you know what you're doing.

>>>   $ make deb
>>
>> What does this link against?  Ideally I'd like mariadb clients and
>> the mariadb server on this host only.
>
> Whatever libraries are installed on the system and satisfy the package
> build dependencies (see debian/control.in). I don't think mysql is
> even available on Debian 12, so you're safe. If you really want to
> check then e.g. spin up a Docker instance and build it in there, then
> the build output will show what's being installed.

control.in requires:  default-libmysqlclient-dev | libmysqlclient-dev

I did install default-libmysqlclient-dev and freeradius built w/o error
and rlm_sql is working.

So I now have mysql and mariadb client libraries on this host. Our
clients (apps) use the latter, freeradius uses the former to "talk" to a
mariadb server. While I'm sure there are some differences these should
be interchangeable. Seems unnecessary or maybe even ugly to have both
though.

While working this I realized we have the same situation with our perl
scripts elsewhere that use DBI /DBD. They presently use mysql as well.

Bill