Building freeradius against mariadb client library

Matthew Newton mcn at freeradius.org
Fri Jul 21 13:04:19 UTC 2023

On 20/07/2023 23:21, Bill Schoolfield wrote:
> On 7/20/2023 5:05 PM, Matthew Newton via Freeradius-Users wrote:
 >>
>> dpkg-query won't query the repos, so you'll only see things that are
>> already installed.
>
> Thanks I was using these command interchangeably. Debian is new to me
> and it seems there are many commands for getting info on packages.

Understood... I've been using Debian ~25 years and I don't think I've
ever used dpkg-query before. Generally you should stick to the 'apt'
commands and ignore 'dpkg' until you know what you're doing.

>>> I either need the appropriate packages for Debian, or I need to alter
>>> the build to use the mariadb library and includes. Perhaps modifying
>>> configure.ac to use mariadb_config?
>>>
>>> What is the solution here?
>>
>>   $ make deb
>
> What does this link against?  Ideally I'd like mariadb clients and the
> mariadb server on this host only.

Whatever libraries are installed on the system and satisfy the package
build dependencies (see debian/control.in). I don't think mysql is even
available on Debian 12, so you're safe. If you really want to check then
e.g. spin up a Docker instance and build it in there, then the build
output will show what's being installed.

>> or the simplest is to just use the packages we provide from Network
>> RADIUS:
>>
>>   https://packages.networkradius.com/
>
> Considering this. The reason for building was we were a CentOS shop and
> the packaged FreeRadius was very old. We also (at the time) had our own
> module (written in C). That module has since been retired.

The main reason why we provide packages is because distros don't
historically provide very recent FreeRADIUS packages, though the
situation is a bit better these days. If you've got no custom modules
and want the latest packages, then the NR packages we build should be
fine - we build them on every new FR release.

(There are packages for CentOS/RHEL/Rocky etc as well which are also
up-to-date, but I fully support your move to Debian :) )

--
Matthew