Can't include a Dictionary referenced in radiusd.conf

Scott Reeve scott.reeve at verizon.net
Thu Jul 27 15:56:20 UTC 2023

Created a new Ubuntu server VM (Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS) and did 'apt get' for freeradius.

All was fine until I tried to pull in a standard dictionary file like I've done many times in the past.
It's the Mellanox dictionary file:
VENDOR          Mellanox                        33049
BEGIN-VENDOR    Mellanox
ATTRIBUTE       Local-User-Name                         1       string
END-VENDOR      Mellanox

It never complained about lack of braces before, but now I get this:
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/3.0/sites-enabled/inner-tunnelincluding configuration file /etc/freeradius/3.0/sites-enabled/defaultincluding configuration file /root/mellanoxDictionary/root/mellanoxDictionary[11]: Expecting section start brace '{' after "VENDOR Mellanox"Errors reading or parsing /etc/freeradius/3.0/radiusd.conf

Having the same message/error with another dictionary that I also have had no problem with in the past - only recently. (h3cDictionary).
I added this line to the bottom of /etc/freeradius/3.0/radiusd.conf:
$INCLUDE /root/mellanoxDictionary

This has worked fine for years for me, but either the latest Ubuntu and/or the latest FreeRadius somehow do things a bit differently, it seems.
Any suggestions?