Freeradius to use SQL table instead of client.conf

Nathan Ward lists+freeradius at daork.net
Wed Jul 17 06:34:13 UTC 2024

Hi,

On 17 Jul 2024 at 6:17:27 PM, Alan Smith via Freeradius-Users <
freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am a newbie in Freeradius and trying to test the use of SQL server to
> dynamically update freeradius clients. The setup is using Red Hat 8,
> freeradius 3.0.20-14 and mariadb. My scenario will need to update the
> clients without the need to restart radiusd service.Thus I started using
> SQL DB as the source for freeradius clients.
> SQL module is configured to use mysql and other queries are commented in
> /etc/raddb/mods-config/sql/main/mysql/queries.conf
> The commented queries are authorize_check_query, authorize_reply_query,
> group_membership_query, authorize_group_check_query,
> authorize_group_reply_query.
> As of now, it works as follows. When radiusd is started, it will load the
> clients from the database table.However, adding/removing of clients in the
> table will not take affect until the service is restarted again.
> Below is the output of radiusd -X. If more information is required, please
> let me know.
>
> <stuff>

This is as designed and is included in the documentation:

https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/68714a4ac45da4a8cb9b2409f37e71978f4677e7/raddb/mods-available/sql#L353

Really important to read and understand all this stuff to get the most out
of FreeRADIUS, there is a lot of documentation in these config files.

--
Nathan Ward