Freeradius sql module usage

Dave Funk dbfunk at engineering.uiowa.edu
Tue Jul 23 17:38:41 UTC 2024

On Tue, 23 Jul 2024, Alan DeKok wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2024, at 8:21 AM, Alan Smith via Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:
>>
>> A project I am working on does not allow storage of plain text passwords in the config file. That is why.

[snip..]
>  Perhaps you could explain in concrete terms, how is the system made more secure by not storing passwords in the config?  How is any other method of getting the password more secure?
>
>  Use examples.
>
>  "I have a checklist" is not a convincing argument.

It prevents idiots from pushing their code to a GitHub project, thus publishing
their credentials to the world.

Anybody who has to deal with the new US DOD/DOE NIST-800-171 CUI requirements
understands the pain of dealing with seemingly senseless restrictions.

--
Dave Funk                               University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu>     College of Engineering