FreeRADIUS + LVS problem

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Feb 20 09:45:23 CET 2007

Peter Nixon wrote:
> I see no particular reason why you should not allow a SQL query on a Status
> packet. We could have a separate sql query just for Status requests which
> does something like "select version()", "select now()" or "select 1". I
> think LDAP has something similar as well...

  Yes, but that adds server complexity, etc.

> On the other hand testing MySQL from another script is not a huge pain...

  Yup.  If you want to know if an SQL server is up, there are existing
tools to test that.  Personally, I would test:

  a) RADIUS via Status-Server
  b) SQL via sql client
  c) "test" user via Access-Request

  If you just do (c), you have no idea if the problem is the RADIUS
server or the SQL server.  Not that it matters to a NAS, of course, but
it matters to an administrator.