Should I use FR 2.0.0 or 1.1.6?

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon May 21 22:42:07 CEST 2007

Hi,

> I have four servers to upgrade - 3 currently run FR 1.0.1 and one is
> already upgraded to 1.1.6. I am at an academic site, and the students

I would suggest that they were all on 1.1.6 at least now.

> The question is, do I install FR 2.0.0 now (even as a pre-release) so
> that upgrading to the final version should be relatively trivial, or do
> I stay with 1.1.6 knowing that at some future point, perhaps soon after
> the start of next term, I have to upgrade again to 2.0.0? I notice that
> upgrading from 1.x to 2.x requires going through the config files, and
> will obviously require some testing, so upgrading to 2.x may not be
> trivial. That is, I can't do it in a short time, but I can upgrade from
> 1.0.1 to 1.1.6 quickly because I already have one server done.

I would say that you get the FR 2.0.0-pre1 code now, compile it with same
settings as you use now and get used to how it functions. you could
even run it on one of the 1.1.6 boxes - but use a different port etc.

what you want to do it note down your configs and then go through the 2.0
config line by line to note the different ways of doing things etc.
the first thing you'll notice is the completely different debug output.

> Anyone any comments or suggestions?

yes, there no guarantee on the delivery timescale for 2.0 final.
it could be done even as I'm writing this, or you could be welcoming
the 07-08 students through your door and its still not there.

alan